Place:


Hemington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemington like this:

HEMINGTON, a village and a parish in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands 5 miles NW of Frome r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Falkland and Rowe. Post town, Radstock, under Bath. Acres, 3, 046. Real property, £3, 784. Pop., 459. Houses, 103. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hardington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. ...


Value, £641. * Patron, Lord Poltimore. The church is ancient; underwent recent restoration, when a very fine Norman arch was discovered; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £21.

Hemington through time

Hemington is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hemington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemington, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12944

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hemington ".