Place:


Hook  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hook like this:

HOOK, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Snaith parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, 1½ mile NNE of Goole r. station; and has a post office under Howden. -The township extends to Goole, and comprises 1, 740 acres. Real property, £6, 075. Pop. in 1851, 2, 159; in 1861, 2, 958. ...


Houses, 672. The Goole workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 81 inmates. Hook moor is a meet for the Bramhammoor hunt.—The chapelry is comparatively small. Pop. in 1861, 415. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £130. Patron, the Right Hon. T. H. S. Estcourt. The church was restored in 1844. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £67.

Hook through time

Hook is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hook, in East Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12936

Date accessed: 18th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hook ".