Place:


West Harptree  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Harptree like this:

HARPTREE (WEST), a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands 1 mile N by W of East Harptree, and 7½ N of Wells r. station; and contains the old and interesting manor-houses of Gournay and Tilly, now converted into farm dwellings. The parish comprises 2,850 acres. ...


Post-town, Blagdon, under Bristol. Real property, £4,472. Pop., 539. Houses, 118. The manor of Gournay belongs to the Prince of Wales; and that of Tilly, to W. F. Newton, Esq. A wooded hollow, called Haydon's Gully, in a hill-side, derives its name from having been the hiding-place of Colonel Haydon, a partisan of the Duke of Monmouth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £220.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is ancient; was recently restored, and a transept added, at a cost of £1,500; and comprises nave, aisle, and porch, with tower and spire. An endowed school has £3, and other charities have £45.

West Harptree through time

West Harptree is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Harptree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Harptree, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12929

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Harptree ".