Place:


Hardington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hardington like this:

HARDINGTON, a parish in Frome district, Somerset; 3¾ miles NW by N of Frome r. station. Post-town, Frome. Acres, 831. Real property, £789. Pop., 22. Houses, 3. The manor belonged to Lord Poltimore, and had belonged to his ancestors, the Bampfyldes, for upwards of 450 years. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hemington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church was originally a private chapel of the Bampfyldes; consists of nave and chancel with a belfry; and was recently restored.

Hardington through time

Hardington is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hardington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hardington, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12924

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hardington ".