Place:


Temple Hirst  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Temple Hirst like this:

HURST (Temple), a township in Birkin parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, 3½ miles NW of Snaith. Acres, 680. Real property, £886. Pop., 104. Houses, 25. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here, by Ralph de Hastings, in 1252. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Temple Hirst through time

Temple Hirst is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Temple Hirst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Temple Hirst, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12910

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Temple Hirst ".