Place:


Heworth  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heworth like this:

HEWORTH, a township in St. Saviour, St. Cuthbert, and St. Olave-Marygate parishes, N. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile NE of York. It has a post office under York. Acres, 1, 330. Real property, £5, 595. Pop., 437. Houses, 84. Pop. of the St. S. portion, 225; of the St.portion, 135; of the St. O. portion, 177. The manor belongs to George Hornby, Esq. Market gardening is carried on; and bricks and tiles are made. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a private lunatic asylnm.

Heworth through time

Heworth is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heworth, in York and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12901

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heworth ".