Place:


Hensall  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hensall like this:

HENSALL, a township in Snaith parish, and a chapelry partly also in Kellington parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the river Aire, and to the Knottingley and Goole railway, 3 miles WNW of Snaith; and has a station, with telegraph, on the railway. Acres, 1, 150. Real property, £2, 093. ...


Pop., 264. Houses, 63. The chapelry includes also Heck township in Snaith parish; bears the name of Hensall-cum-Heck; and was constituted in 1855. Pop., 633. Houses, 139. Pop. of the Kellington portion, 91. Houses, 18. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £120. * Patron, Viscount Downe. The church was built at the expense of Lord Downe.

Hensall through time

Hensall is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hensall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hensall, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12891

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hensall ".