Place:


Enmore  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Enmore like this:

ENMORE, a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset; under the Quantock hills, on an affluent of the river Parret, 4 miles WSW of Bridgewater town and r. station. It has a post office under Bridgewater. Acres, 1, 112. Real property, £3, 095. Pop., 314. Houses, 63. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to the Courcelles; passed to the Mallets, the Bayntuns and others; came to the Percevals, Earls of Egmont; and belongs now to the Trevelyans. The mansion on it, Enmore Castle, was built by the first Earl of Egmont; and is a large quadrangular embattled pile, constructed of a dark reddish-coloured stone, flanked at each angle by a low square machicolated tower, with a bastion and two circular towers at the principal entrance. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £183.* Patron, the Rev. J. Levien. The church adjoins the castle; has an Anglo-Norman doorway; and is good. The churchyard contains old yew trees, and the steps and shaft of an ancient cross. Charities, £13.

Enmore through time

Enmore is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Enmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Enmore, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12826

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Enmore ".