Place:


Elm  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elm like this:

ELM, a parish in Frome district, Somerset; on the river Frome, 2 miles W by N of Frome town and r. station. It includes Little Elm hamlet, lying detached from the main body of the parish, which bears the name of Great Elm; and its post town is Frome. Acres, exclusive of Little Elm, whose acreage is returned with that of Whatley parish, 893. ...


Real property, £1, 566. Pop. of G. Elm, 323; of L. Elm, 54. Houses, 76 and 16. The property is divided among a few. Extensive ironworks are on the banks of the Frome. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £193.* Patron, William Strachey, Esq. The church is ancient; has a fine Norman doorway; and is good.

Elm through time

Elm is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elm itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elm, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12820

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elm ".