Place:


Edington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edington like this:

EDINGTON, a chapelry in Moorlinch parish, Somerset; near the Somerset and Dorset railway, 5½ miles ENE of Bridgewater. It has a station on the railway; contains the hamlet of Burtle; and its post town is Chilton, under Bridgewater. Acres, 2, 167. Real property, £4, 647. Pop., 432. Houses, 100. The living is a p. curacy united with the p. curacy of Chilton-on-Polden, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rev. R. J. Luscombe. The church is ancient.

Edington through time

Edington is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edington, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12816

Date accessed: 16th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Edington".