Place:


Leadenham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leadenham like this:

LEADENHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Sleaford district, Lincoln. The village stands on the Lincoln and Grantham railway, 2¾ miles W of Erminestreet, and 8¾ NW of Sleaford; is a pleasant place, and a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Grantham, and a fair in May.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Lowfield, and a recently annexed place called Maiden House. ...


Acres, with Beyards-Leap extra-parochial tract, 2, 260. Real property, £6, 645. Pop., 688. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Leadenham House and much of the land, belongs to Colonel John Reeve. A spring called St. Ann's Well, and a barrow, are near the village. A cliff, commanding a very extensive view, is near Leadenham House. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £800.* Patron, the Rev. O. Smith. The church is decorated English; was restored in 1861; and has a pinnacled tower and a crocketted spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a school with £20 a year from endowment, and charities £84.—The sub-district contains seven parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 19, 202. Pop., 3, 940. Houses, 793.

Leadenham through time

Leadenham is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leadenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leadenham, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12790

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leadenham ".