Place:


Lea  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lea like this:

LEA, a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln; on the Gainsborough and Lincoln railway, adjacent to the river Trent, at the boundary with Notts, 2¼ miles SSE of Gainsborough. It has a post office under Gainsborough. Acres, 2, 149. Real property, £3, 396. Pop., 194. Houses, 39. The property, with the manor and Lea Hall, belongs to Sir Charles H. ...


J. Anderson, Bart. A Cistertian nunnery was founded in 1180, at Hevening or Heyning, by Reyner Evermere; and has left some traces. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £450. * Patron, SirH. J. Anderson, Bart. The church is early English, was recently restored, has a tower, and contains an altar tomb to Sir Ralph de Trehampton, and some other monuments.

Lea through time

Lea is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lea, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12789

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lea ".