Place:


Compton Gifford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Gifford like this:

COMPTON-GIFFORD, a tything in Charles-the-Martyr parish, Devon; 1½ mile NNE of Plymouth. It includes the small villages of Compton, Mannamead, Mutley, and Hyde-Park-Terrace, comprising a number of fine residences; and has a post office, of the name of Compton, under Plymouth. Acres, 641. ...


Real property, £5, 969; of which £156 are in quarries. Pop., 880. Houses, 140. The Plymouth, Stonehouse, and Devonport cemetery, established in 1846, comprising 18 acres, and Containing two chapels, both in the decorated style of architecture, one of them with a bell-tower, is here. The new South Devon militia depôt also is here, in Ford Park. The tything has a small chapel of ease; and is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Charles-the-Martyr, in the diocese of Exeter.

Compton Gifford through time

Compton Gifford is now part of Plymouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Plymouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton Gifford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Gifford, in Plymouth and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1278

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton Gifford ".