Place:


Grantley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grantley like this:

GRANTLEY, a township in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 5½ miles WSW of Ripon town and r. station. It has a post office under Ripon; and it gives the title of Baron to the family of Norton. Acres, 743. Real property, with Eaveston, £2, 849. Pop., 235. Houses, 55. Grantley Hall is the seat of Lord Grantley. The township is a chapelry united to Winksley, in the diocese of Ripon.

Grantley through time

Grantley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grantley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grantley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12741

Date accessed: 20th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grantley".