Willington Quay  Northumberland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willington Quay like this:

WILLINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Walls-end parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne, and on the Newcastle and Tynemouth railway, near Howdon r. station, and 3 miles WSW of North Shields; and contains W. village, with a post-office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and W. Quay, with a post-office‡ under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. ...

Extensive ship-building yards, copper-smelting works, lead-works, fire-brick works, a ropery, and other industrial establishments are at W. Quay. A united Presbyterian church also was built there in 1867: and is in the pointed style, with tower and spire 92 feet high. Robert Stephenson, the civil engineer, was a native; and the Stephenson institute has been erected on the site of his birthplace. Pop. in 1851, 2,284; in 1861, 3,031. Houses, 399.—The chapelry was constituted in 1859. Pop., 795. Houses, 153. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £222. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is good.

Willington Quay through time

Willington Quay is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willington Quay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willington Quay, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st September 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willington Quay ".