Place:


Irby in the Marsh  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irby in the Marsh like this:

IRBY-IN-THE-MARSH, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands near the river Steeping, and near Firsby r. station, 5 miles ESE of Spilsby. The parish comprises 1, 090 acres; and its post town is Spilsby. Real property, £1, 427. Pop., 169. Houses, 36. The property is much divided. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £83. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is very ancient but good; and consists of nave and chancel, with a low tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school, and a share with Burgh-le-Marsh in Holden's charity.

Irby in the Marsh through time

Irby in the Marsh is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Irby in the Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irby in the Marsh, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12675

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Irby in the Marsh ".