Place:


Ingoldmells  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ingoldmells like this:

INGOLDMELLS, a parish, with a village, in Spilsby district, Lincoln; on the coast, 6 miles NE by E of Burgh r. station, and 11½ SE of Alford. Post town, Burgh, under Boston. Acres, 1,857; of which 450 are water. Real property, £3, 073. Pop., 319. Houses, 62. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to the Massingberg family. The coast has a small headland, called Ingoldmells Point, and presents objects of interest to naturalists. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £182. * Patron, the Rev. J. Dodsworth. The church lost its chancel about the year 1706; has a transitional Norman nave, of six bays; was greatly improved in 1865; and contains some oak stalls, an octagonal font, and a curious brass of 1520. A handsome rectory house was lately built. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and recently erected schools.

Ingoldmells through time

Ingoldmells is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ingoldmells itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ingoldmells, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12670

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ingoldmells ".