Place:


Compton Martin  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Martin like this:

COMPTON-MARTIN, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 6 ½ miles SW of Pensford, and 7½ N of Wells r. station. It has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 2, 314. Real property, £3, 829. Pop., 558. Houses, 125. The property is much divided. The manor belonged to Martin de Tours. The sources of the river Yeo burst from the rock here in a copious stream. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £305.* Patron, Mrs. Hardwicke. The church is excellent; and there are charities £10.

Compton Martin through time

Compton Martin is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton Martin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Martin in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12669

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton Martin ".