Place:


Garton on the Wolds  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garton on the Wolds like this:

GARTON-ON-THE-WOLDS, a village and a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands a little N of the Driffield and Malton railway, 3 miles WNW of Great Driffield; and has a station, of the name of Garton, on the railway. The parish comprises 4, 380 acres. Post town, Driffield. ...


Real property, £4, 607. Pop., 572. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is hilly and wooded. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £150. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on an eminence; has a Norman tower; contains old oaken seats and an octagonal font; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Garton on the Wolds through time

Garton on the Wolds is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garton on the Wolds itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garton on the Wolds, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12663

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garton on the Wolds ".