Place:


Compton Bishop  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Bishop like this:

COMPTON-BISHOP, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; on the river Axe, under the Mendip hills, 2 miles W of Axbridge, and 4 SE of Weston-super-Mare Junction r. station. It contains Cross and the Axbridge workhouse; and its post town is Axbridge, under Weston-super-Mare. Acres, 2, 535. Real property, £4, 754. ...


Pop., 663. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. A part of the Mendip hills, within the limits, has bone-caves. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £185.* Patron, the Prebendary of Compton-Bishop. The church is partly Norman; has a stone pulpit and a font; and is very good. An endowed school has £10 a year.

Compton Bishop through time

Compton Bishop is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton Bishop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Bishop, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12658

Date accessed: 25th February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Compton Bishop".