Place:


Huttoft  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huttoft like this:

HUTTOFT, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands on an eminence amid surrounding marshes, 2½ miles from the sea, and 4¼ E of Alford r. station; commands extensive views over land and sea; and has a post office under Alford. Its name was anciently spelled Holtoft, Hotoft, Hottefte, and Huttorp; and has sometimes been written Hightoft.—The parish comprises 3, 310 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 059. Pop. in 1851, 586; in 1861, 710. Houses, 137. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. * Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is decorated English, with an early English tower; contains a fine old font and several tablets: and was restored in 1869. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £18.

Huttoft through time

Huttoft is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huttoft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huttoft, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12656

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huttoft ".