Place:


Humberston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Humberston like this:

HUMBERSTONE, a parish, with a village, in Caistor district, Lincoln; adjacent to the Humber, 1½ mile E of Waltham r. station, and 4 SE by S of Great Grimsby. Post town, Grimsby. Acres, 8, 145; of which 5, 215 are water. Real property, £3, 514. Pop., 277. Houses, 56. The property belongs to Lord Carrington. ...


A small Benedictine abbey was founded here, in the time of Henry II.; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Cheke, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Carrington. The church was rebuilt in 1710; is a brick structure, with a tower; and contains several monuments, one of which is to Mathew Humberstone, Esq., who was a foundling, took the name of the parish, acquired great riches, died in 1709, and left £300 to erect his monument, £1, 000 to rebuild the church, £1, 100 to erect a grammar school and alms houses, and an annuity of £40 toward the vicar's income. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a girls' free school.

Humberston through time

Humberston is now part of North East Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Humberston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Humberston in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12647

Date accessed: 29th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Humberston ".