Place:


Hougham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hougham like this:

HOUGHAM, a village and a parish in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln. The village swands on the river Witham, near the Great Northern railway, 6 miles NNW of Grantham; and has a station on the rai1way. The parish comprises 2, 590 acres; and its post town is Hough, under Grantham. Real property, £4, 027. ...


Pop., 349. Houses, 77. The manor belonged formerly to the Brudenell family, and belongs now to Sir JohnThorold, Bart. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Marston, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £740.* Patron, Sir. J.Thorold, Bart. The church is chiefly early English; has Norman pillars on the S aisle; was recently restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a handsome screen, and a figured monumental stone of a Knight Templar.

Hougham through time

Hougham is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hougham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hougham, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12641

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hougham ".