Place:


Abbas Combe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbas Combe like this:

COMBE-ABBAS, or Abbas and Temple-Combe, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to the river Cale, the boundary with Dorset, and the Yeovil and Salisbury railway, 4 miles S of Wincanton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Bath, both of the name of Temple-Combe. ...


Acres, 1,850. Real property, with Stowell, £5, 311. Pop., 487. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. A preceptory of the Knights-Templars was at Temple-Combe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £398.* Patron, the Rev. T. Fox. The church is very good. Charities, £10.

Abbas Combe through time

Abbas Combe is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbas Combe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbas Combe in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12636

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbas Combe ".