Place:


Holton le Clay  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holton le Clay like this:

HOLTON-LE-CLAY, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands near the East Lincoln railway, 4¾ miles S by E of Great Grimsby; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Grimsby. The parish includes also Tetney-Haven on the Louth navigation. Acres, 1, 430. ...


Real property, £2, 385. Pop., 297. Houses, 59. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster, and is held by Sir M. J. Cholmeley, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £92. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1850; and it has a Saxon chancel arch, and a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Holton le Clay through time

Holton le Clay is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holton le Clay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holton le Clay, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12624

Date accessed: 29th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holton le Clay ".