Place:


Church Fenton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church Fenton like this:

CHURCH-FENTON, or Kirk-Fenton, a township and a parish in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Great Northern railway, near the river Wharfe, 5 miles SSE of Tadcaster; and has a station on the railway. Acres, 2, 160. Real property, £2, 823. Pop., 469. Houses, 102. ...


The parish contains also the townships of Little Fenton and Biggin. Post town, South Milford. Acres, 4, 410. Real property, £4, 589. Pop., 711. Houses, 150. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £125. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is cruciform, of various dates, from Norman downward; and was repaired in 1859.

Church Fenton through time

Church Fenton is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church Fenton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church Fenton, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12573

Date accessed: 27th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Church Fenton".