Place:


Chilton Polden  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilton Polden like this:

CHILTON-UPON-POLDEN, a village and a chapelry in Moorlinch parish, Somerset. The village stands 3½ miles SSW of Edington-Road r. station, and 5 ENE of Bridgewater; and has a post office, of the name of Chilton, under Bridgewater. The chapelry includes also part of the hamlet of Burtle. Acres, 1,856. ...


Real property, £3, 717. Pop., 511. Houses, 118. A narrow hill-ridge here, called Cockhill, commands extensive and brilliant views; and is crowned by a museum, called Chilton Priory, containing some curious local antiquities. The living is a p. curacy, united with Edington, in the dio. of Bath and Wells. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rev. R. J. Luscombe. There is an Independent chapel.

Chilton Polden through time

Chilton Polden is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chilton Polden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilton Polden, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12565

Date accessed: 24th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilton Polden".