Place:


Chew Stoke  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chew Stoke like this:

CHEW-STOKE, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset, 4½ miles SW of Pensford, and 5½ SSE of Bourton r. station. It has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 2, 092. Real property, £5, 097. Pop., 758. Houses, 173. The property is much subdivided. Limestone and building-stone occur. ...


A small nunnery was founded here by Elizabeth de Santa Cruce. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £305.* Patron, the Rev. W. P. Wait. The church is ancient but good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £91 from endowment; and other charities £29. Lord Mayor Champneis was a native.

Chew Stoke through time

Chew Stoke is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chew Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chew Stoke in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12559

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chew Stoke ".