Place:


Harmston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harmston like this:

HARMSTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands on an eminence, with an extensive view, 6 miles S of Lincoln; and has a station on the Grantham, Honington, and Lincoln railway, and a post-office under Lincoln. The parish comprises 2,690 acres. Real property, £4,289. ...


Pop., 414. Houses, 02. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Harmston Hall, belongs to B. Thorold, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £108.* Patrons, B. Thorold, Esq., and Mrs. A. E. Thorold. The church is ancient, with a tower; was recently in an unsatisfactory condition; and contains monuments of the Thorolds. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £18.

Harmston through time

Harmston is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harmston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harmston, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12525

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harmston ".