Queen Camel  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Queen Camel like this:

CAMEL (Queen), a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Yeo, on an affluent of that river, 1 mile SW of Sparkford r. station, and 6 ENE of Ilchester; and has a post office‡ under Taunton. Fairs are held at it on 11 June and 25 Oct.; and a sulphurous spring, of some note, is a mile to the west. ...

The parish comprises 2,498 acres. Real property, £4,975. Pop., 734. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £222.* Patron, P. S. J. Mildmay, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £11.

Queen Camel through time

Queen Camel is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Queen Camel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Queen Camel in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 23rd September 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Queen Camel ".