Place:


Halton Holegate  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halton Holegate like this:

HALTON-HOLEGATE, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands on the river Steeping, 1 mile ESE of Spilsby; and has a postoffice under Spilsby, and a st. on the Spilsby railway. The parish comprises 1, 320 acres. Real property, £, 554. Pop., 531. Houses, 127. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to Samuel Vessey, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300. Patron, Lord Willonghby d'Eresby. The church is later English, with early Norman parts; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a large tower; was recently restored, at a cost of £1, 960; and contains an ancient font, and, on an altar tomb, the effigies of a crusader. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £7.

Halton Holegate through time

Halton Holegate is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halton Holegate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halton Holegate, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12510

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halton Holegate ".