Place:


North Cadbury  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Cadbury like this:

CADBURY (North), a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands on an eminence, 2 miles NE of Sparkford r. station, and 5 WSW of Wincanton; and has a post office under Bath. The parish includes also the hamlets of Galhampton and Woolston. Acres, 2,810. Real property, £7,220. ...


Pop., 997. Houses, 236. The manor belonged to the Newmarshes, the Botreauxes, and the Hungerfords; and passed to the Bennetts. The manor house was built in 1581, by the third Earl of Huntingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £700.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church was built, in the time of Henry VI., by the Botreauxes; and contains several ancient monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. Ralph Cudworth was rector.

North Cadbury through time

North Cadbury is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Cadbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Cadbury in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12507

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Cadbury ".