Place:


Butcombe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butcombe like this:

BUTCOMBE, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; near the river Yeo, 5 miles SE of Nailsea r. station, and 8 NE of Axbridge. Post Town, Chew Stoke, under Bristol. Acres, 983. Real property, £1,582. Pop., 223. Houses, 52. The property is much subdivided. Butcombe Court is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £248. Patron, the Rev. W. H. Cartwright. The church is very ancient, and in fair condition.

Butcombe through time

Butcombe is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butcombe in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12504

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Butcombe ".