Place:


Brompton Regis  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brompton Regis like this:

BROMPTON-REGIS, a village and a parish in the district of Tiverton, and county of Somerset. The village stands near the river Exe, 3½ miles NE of Dulverton, and 10 N by W of Tiverton r. station; and has a post office under Tiverton. It was once a market town; and fairs are still held at it on 1 Aug. ...


and the second Thursday after 10 Oct. The parish comprises 8,810 acres. Real property, £6,718. Pop., 929. Houses, 182. The property is much subdivided. A priory of Black canons was founded at Barlinch, in the time of Henry H., by William de Lay. Building stone abounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £400.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1853. There are Independent and Bible Christian chapels, and charities £18.

Brompton Regis through time

Brompton Regis is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brompton Regis itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brompton Regis in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12490

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brompton Regis ".