Place:


Gunness  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gunness like this:

GUNHOUSE, a township in West Halton and Frodingham parishes, and a chapelry partly also in Bottesford parish, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Trent, nearly opposite Keadby r. station, and 4¼ miles ESE of Crowle; has a wharf for shipment of iron ore, brought by rail from Scunthorpe; has also ironworks, erected since 1861. ...


Pop., 197. Houses, 35. The chapelry includes Burringham township, and was constituted in 1862. Post town, Burringham, under Bawtry. Pop., 829. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £148.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is plain; and there are a recent chapel of ease and three Methodist chapels.

Gunness through time

Gunness is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gunness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gunness in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12481

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gunness ".