Place:


Brent Knoll  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brent Knoll like this:

BRENT (South), a village and a parish in Axbridge parish, Somerset. The village stands under BrentKnoll, adjacent to the Bristol and Exeter railway, 3 miles N by E of Highbridge station, and 7½ SW of Axbridge; and has a post office under Weston-super-Mare. -The parish includes also the hamlet of Week. ...


Acres, 3,426. Real property, £10,594. Pop., 905. Houses, 200. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the abbots of Glastonbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £548.* Patron, the Archdeacon of Wells. The church is partly Norman; and contains a large monument to a Somerset of 1663. There are a Bible Christian chapel, a national school, and charities £8.

Brent Knoll through time

Brent Knoll is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brent Knoll itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brent Knoll, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12470

Date accessed: 25th February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brent Knoll".