Bleadon  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bleadon like this:

BLEADON, a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; on the river Axe, and on the Bristol and Exeter railway, 2 miles S of Weston-super-Mare Junction station, and 4½ SE of Weston-super-Mare. It includes the hamlets of Oldmixon and Shiplet; and has a post office under Weston-super-Mare. Acres, 2,795. ...

Real property, £6,617. Pop. 623. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. Remains of an ancient British camp are on Bleadon Hill; and bones, coins, and armour have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £469.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was repaired in 1859. M. Casaubon was for some time rector.

Bleadon through time

Bleadon is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bleadon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bleadon in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th February 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bleadon".