Place:


Blackford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackford like this:

BLACKFORD, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 4½ miles WS W of Wincanton r. station, and 5 N by W of Milborne-Port. Post Town, North Cadbury, under Bath. Acres, 578. Real property, with Compton and Pauncefoot, £2,839. Pop., 164. Houses, 37. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £177.* Patron, B. H. Hunt, Esq. The church is early English, with a fine Norman entrance-arch. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Blackford through time

Blackford is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackford in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12463

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackford ".