Place:


Bicknoller  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bicknoller like this:

BICKNOLLER, a parish in Williton district, Somerset; adjacent to the Watchet and Taunton railway, near Williton station, 4 miles SE of Watchet. It has a post office under Taunton. Acres, 1,390. Real property, £2,614. Pop., 345. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The surface includes part of the Quantock hills, and contains points which command extensive views. ...


Two Roman camps, called Trendle's and Turk's castles, and a beacon, are near the church; and very many Roman coins and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £124. Patron, the Vicar of Stogumber. The church is good.

Bicknoller through time

Bicknoller is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bicknoller itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bicknoller in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12460

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bicknoller ".