Place:


Berkley  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berkley like this:

BERKELEY, or Berkley, a parish in Frome district, Somerset; on the Great Western railway, 2 miles ENE of Frome. It includes part of the tything of Old Ford; and its Post Town is Frome. Acres, 1,927. Real property, with Standerwick, £3,351. Pop., 386. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. Berkeley House is the seat of E. Dickinson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £410.* Patron, SirMordant, Bart. The church is good.

Berkley through time

Berkley is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berkley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berkley, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12457

Date accessed: 31st March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berkley ".