Place:


St George  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St George like this:

GEORGE (St.), a parish and a sub-district in Clifton district, Gloucester. The parish lies on the river Avon, near the West Midland and the Great Western railways, 2 miles E of Bristol; contains the hamlets of Easton, Two-Mill-Hill, and Whitehall; and has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 1,831. ...


Real property, £22, 419, of which £2, 210 are in mines, and £103 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 8, 905; in 1861, 10, 276. Houses, 2, 120. The property is much subdivided. A considerable extent of land is disposed in market-gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £530.* Patron, the Rev. T. N. Grigg. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. The vicarages of Lower Easton and Two-mile-Hill are separate benefices. There are five dissenting chapels, four public schools, a school-charity with £36, and other charities with £26. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St George, in and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1243

Date accessed: 02nd July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St George ".