Place:


Ellerton Abbey  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellerton Abbey like this:

ELLERTON-ABBEY, a township in Downholme parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Swale, 6½ miles SW by W of Richmond. Real property, with Stainton, £1, 419. Pop., 50. Houses, 10. A Gilbertine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Warnerius, steward to the Earl of Richmond; and some remains of it, including a tower, still exist.

Ellerton Abbey through time

Ellerton Abbey is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellerton Abbey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellerton Abbey, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12416

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellerton Abbey ".