Place:


Batcombe  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Batcombe like this:

BATCOMBE, a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; near the East Somerset railway, 3 miles N of Bruton. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 3,229. Real property, £4,006. Pop., 713. Houses, 172. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Upton Noble, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Rev. J. Brown. The church was restored in 1844. There are two Wesleyan chapels.

Batcombe through time

Batcombe is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Batcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Batcombe, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12390

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Batcombe ".