Place:


Barrow Gurney  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barrow Gurney like this:

BARROW-GURNEY, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; 1¼ mile SSE of Burton r. station, and 5 WSW of Bristol. Post Town, Long-Ashton, under Bristol. Acres, 2,026. Real property, £3,360. Pop., 321. House, 61. The property is divided among four. Barrow Court, near Barrow Hill, is a fine Tudor mansion, the seat of J. H. Blagrave, Esq., and occupies the site of a Benedictine nunnery founded by the Fitzhardinges. The living is a donative in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £66.* Patron, J. H. Blagrave, Esq.

Barrow Gurney through time

Barrow Gurney is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barrow Gurney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barrow Gurney in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12378

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barrow Gurney ".