Place:


Backwell  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Backwell like this:

BACKWELL, or Bachwell, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; 1 mile SE of Nailsea r. station, and 7 WSW of Bristol. It includes the hamlets of Church Town, Downside, Farley, Mooreside, and West-Town; and its Post Town is Nailsea. Acres, 2,902. Real property, £6,223. Pop., 926. Houses, 183. ...


The property is subdivided. Coal is extensively mined; and building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage, and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value of the vicarage, £144; of the rectory, £253.* Patron of the vicarage, Mrs. Uniacke; of the rectory, the Marquis of Bath. The church is good, and has a very fine tower; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £46.

Backwell through time

Backwell is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Backwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Backwell in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12360

Date accessed: 30th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Backwell ".