Place:


Greatford  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greatford like this:

GREATFORD, or GRETFORD, a township and a parish in Stamford district, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Glen, 2½ miles N by E of Tallington r. station, and 6 NE of Stamford; includes a well built village of its own name; and has a post office under Stamford. Real property, £2, 688. ...


Pop., 219. Houses, 40. The parish contains also the township of Wilsthorpe, and comprises 1, 540 acres. Real property, £4, 184. Pop., 280. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Chesham. Greatford Hall is the seat of W. Peacock, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Wilsthorpe, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £525. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good, and has a tower and spire. Charities, £17.

Greatford through time

Greatford is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greatford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greatford, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12350

Date accessed: 02nd August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greatford ".