Place:


Billingham  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Billingham like this:

BILLINGHAM, a township and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The township lies on the Billingham river, and on the Clarence and Hartlepool railway, 3 miles NNE of Stockton-on-Tees; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stockton-on-Tees. Acres, 3,139; of which 369 are water. ...


Real property, £4,968. Pop., 931. Houses, 187. The parish includes also the townships of Cowpen-Bewley, Newton-Bewley, and Wolviston. Acres, 11,691; of which 2,323 are water. Real property, £13,525. Pop., 2,166. Houses, 426. The property is divided among a few. Billingham Grange is a chief residence. Coal is worked. A great battle was fought in the parish, in 900, by Eardulph, king of Northumbria. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £240.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is late Saxon and transitional Norman, has a tower 144 feet high, and contains a chancel-screen and three brasses. Church-land yields £52 a year; and other charities £38. The rectory of Wolviston and the vicarage of HavertonHill are separate charges. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.

Billingham through time

Billingham is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Billingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Billingham, in Stockton on Tees and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1231

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Billingham ".