Place:


Gedney  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gedney like this:

GEDNEY, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands adjacent to the Spalding and Sutton-Bridge railway, 3¼ miles E by S of Holbeach; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wisbeach. The parish contains also the hamlet of Gedney-Hill. Acres, 25, 257; of which 12, 880 are water. ...


Real property, £24, 836. Pop., 2, 459. Houses, 497. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged. anciently to Crowland abbey. Remains of Roman en-trenchments exist; and Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £667.* Patron, the Crown. The church was built by the abbots of Crowland; is chiefly perpendicular English; has a tower 86 feet high; measures 160 feet in length, exclusive of the tower; contains an ancient copper lock, with Saxon inscription; and is in a fair condition. The p. curacies of Drove-End and Gedney-Hill are separate benefices. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £79.

Gedney through time

Gedney is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gedney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gedney, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12307

Date accessed: 20th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gedney ".