Place:


Darrington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Darrington like this:

DARRINGTON, a township and a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjaent to the Knottingley and Doncaster railway, 2 miles S of Knottingley r. station, and 3 SE of Pontefract; and includes the hamlet of Darrington Leys. Real property, £4, 028. Pop., 114. Houses, 120. ...


The parish contains also the township of Stapleton; and its post town is Knottingley, under Normanton. Acres, 4, 820. Real property, £5, 264. Pop., 744. Houses, 143. The property is divided among a few. Darrington Hall is the seat of the Right Hon. J. Parker. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £512.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £8.

Darrington through time

Darrington is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Darrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Darrington, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12284

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Darrington".