Place:


Fleet  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fleet like this:

FLEET, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Spalding and Sutton-Bridge railway, 2 miles ESE of Holbeach; and has a a station on the railway, and a post office under Wisbeach. The parish comprises 6, 667 acres; and includes a tract called Fleet Fen. Real property, £14, 726. ...


Pop. of the Fleet Fen tract, 167. Houses, 32. Pop. of the whole, 1, 312. Houses, 247. The property is divided among a few. Many copper coins of Gallienus, and other relics, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1, 250.* Patron, Rev. J. Jerram. The church is ancient but good; and an embattled tower, with lofty spire, stands apart from it. There are chapels for Baptists and Unitarians. An endowed school has £48; and other charities have £69.

Fleet through time

Fleet is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fleet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fleet, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12269

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fleet ".